Search Specimen Collection Manual
Anal-Rectal Cytology: Collection Procedure
See Specimen Submission Instructions for test requisition, specimen labeling and specimen packaging requirements.
Anal-rectal cytology is indicated to screen select at risk patients to detect anal cancer and its precursor lesions.
- Obtain specimen prior to use of lubricant gel.
- Insert a moistened Dacron swab 5-6 cm into the anal canal.
- Maintaining firm pressure against the mucosa, slowly rotate the swab10-20 revolutions while slowly withdrawing the swab from the anal canal.
- Rinse the collection device as quickly as possible in the PreservCyt Solution vial by rotating the swab in the solution 10 times while pushing against the vial wall. Swirl the swab vigorously to further release material. Discard the swab.
- Tighten the cap on the vial so that the torque line on the cap passes the torque line on the vial.
- Label the vial with patient’s full name and 1 additional unique identifier (DOB, medical record number).