Search Specimen Collection Manual
See Specimen Submission Instructions for test requisition, specimen labeling and specimen packaging requirements.
- If microbiology is ordered, submit brush in sterile saline. Specimen will be processed for cultures prior to cytology processing.
- If microbiology is not ordered:
- Place brush in Cytolyt.
- If desired, direct smear/s may be prepared from the brush by rolling the brush onto a glass slide prior to placing into Cytolyt. Immediately spray fix or allow to air dry. Label each slide “Fixed” for a fixed slide or “AD” for an air-dried slide. Note: slide must also be labeled with 2 unique patient identifiers.
- If submitted as a fresh specimen, refrigerate and transport on ice/cold pack.
- If submitted in Cytolyt, transport at ambient temperature.