Search Specimen Collection Manual
Urine for UroVysion™/FISH
See Specimen Submission Instructions for test requisition, specimen labeling and specimen packaging requirements.
UroVysion™ is a FISH assay for the detection chromosomal abnormalities associated with bladder carcinoma. Results are intended for use in conjunction with current standard diagnostic procedures as an aid for initial diagnosis of bladder carcinoma in patients with hematuria and subsequent monitoring for tumor recurrence in patients previously diagnosed with bladder carcinoma.
- Use UroVysion™ Specimen Collection Kit. Kit provides one specimen collection container and one 30 ml vial of PreservCyt (preservative solution).
- Collect a minimum of 30 ml of urine. If urine volume exceeds 60 ml, pour off excess urine.
- Immediately add PreservCyt in a 2:1 ratio (2 parts urine to 1 part PreservCyt).
Urine + PreservCyt = Total Volume
30 ml 15 ml 45 ml
60 ml 30 ml (entire vial) 90 ml
- Total volume should not exceed 90 ml of urine + preservative solution in the specimen cup.
- Place urine/PreservCyt mixture in original kit packaging and refrigerate (4°C) immediately. Decomposition of urine begins within 30 minutes.
- Transport ASAP via courier.
- Ship with ice pack. Do not allow direct contact of ice pack with specimen container.
Urine specimen must be combined with PreservCyt solution at the time of collection. Specimen submitted without PreservCyt will be rejected. Ship ASAP.
An interpretative report is provided.